The AHURI Research Synthesis Service provides independent analysis of national and international evidence to inform and assist policy development. Our clients include commonwealth, state and local governments and non-government organisations (NGOs). The Service has established a reputation as leaders in high quality research and knowledge transfer to stimulate fresh thinking around key policy issues. Building on this reputation, the Service is broadening its activities to include workshop facilitation and program evaluation.
What is the synthesis process
Research synthesis draws out the findings from existing national and international research relevant to your specific policy and practice questions. The synthesis methodology identifies the key policy interventions and the contexts in which they operate in order to understand not only what interventions work, but why they work. This is done through:
- Synthesising and summarising expansive and complex bodies of research literature.
- Collating, evaluating, and comparing secondary data sources.
- Assessing international policy reforms and program evaluations.
- Scoping of the evidence-base: breadth, depth and gap analysis.
- Identifying evidence-based principles for successful practice—what works, when and why.
We provide custom designed research synthesis and evaluation solutions. We offer the following range of services:
- Research synthesis—identifies, analyses, evaluates and summarises the evidence base into a coherent and individualised report.
- Workshop and facilitation services—assists in turning research synthesis evidence into workable policy solutions and engaging stakeholders in candid and robust reflection on findings and implications.
- Evaluations—independently assesses the outcomes and effectiveness of interventions at the project or program level and links these to national and international evidence.
What we do
We provide direct and practical information for use in shaping policy in a constantly changing environment.
The Service has particular expertise in the following policy areas:
- Urban issues and cities
- Social policy
- Community development
- Social inclusion
- Capacity building
The Research Synthesis Service provides responsive, ethical, transparent and rigorously applied analysis and facilitation. We can also draw on AHURI’s wider capacity to assist in the process of knowledge transfer on key issues. We aim to make research more accessible and provide resources for innovation and problem-solving.
Why use the AHURI Research Synthesis Service?
AHURI’s Research Synthesis Service staff have an in-depth understanding of social policy and practical expertise in the following areas:
- Research synthesis.
- Designing bespoke methodologies.
- Program evaluation.
- Quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Workshop facilitation.
- Producing high quality written outputs.
- Consulting with a wide range of stakeholders.
Examples of previous synthesis reports can be found in the AHURI research library, on the Shelter NSW website, on the NSW Mental Health Commission website and on the VicHealth website.
How long will it take?
AHURI’s Research Synthesis Service is a quick response research service designed to help you find evidencebased solutions. A typical Synthesis Report can be undertaken within 30 working days. Other projects, such as facilitation and evaluations, are tailored to meet the individual requirements of clients.
How can I access the service?
Dr Andrew Hollows
Deputy Executive Director, AHURI